Saturday, January 24, 2009

The outlier

Dolberry is the puppy who doesn't like to wander from the pack. Probably not the only one.

So last night I went to band night at the Cary Senior Center (?) to see a friend of ours band play. I'd say I was probably the only person who wasn't a teen or a parent of a band member. Dolberry felt a little conspicuous ... wondering if he appeared more an undercover cop or a stalker.

This morning I played in a Heroclix event w/ APD and several other middle schoolers. Ahem, the only adult ... not counting the organizer ... playing. My team of: Circe, Yellowjacket, and Dr. Strange was pretty much unbeatable. No mercy boys!

Then tonight, Carey (a great human being BTW), invited some EPA'ers to join him at a Chinese restaurant for Chinese New Year's (which is Monday if I understood correctly). The Chinese to non-Chinese ratio was something like 75-2. Again, there was that conspicuous feeling. (Which was quickly surpassed by a feeling that I ate about 3 times more than I should have. Too good. Bǎo!)

I wonder what it's like to always be in the minority. I think it'd be really tiring. Dolberry probably retreats to his comfortable regimes (softball, family, blogging, the Weather Channel, Guitar Hero) more often than he should. I guess it's nice to have the option to stretch or not.

3 comments:

Papa Sparky said...

How was the food? Mmmmmm, Chinese. Pass me an eggroll.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I got a small dose of it in Asia- but it helped that I'm short with dark hair. I enjoyed hanging out in whatever scanky hotel we ended up in- just for the repreive of being on stage. Surprisingly- the Taj Maja was the other place I felt at ease. I guess there were enough other people like me there.
So glad you're blogging again! Did you hear we're getting snow? Unfortunately I found out we're getting snow in the 5-8 people deep lines at Kroger.
Kris

Anonymous said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy!!(Happy New Year). Mom