Monday, January 19, 2009

New U2 song is out

The first single from No Line on the Horizon is available from iTunes. It rocks pretty hard for about 13 seconds, then Bono downshifts it into something Zooropa-like odd. Ah, maybe it'll grow on me.

If I blogged about every time the NY Times irritated Dolberry! to no end, I'd have no time for anything else. But they really raised my dander w/ their article last night about the inauguration gala. U2 opened their set w/ "Pride (In the Name of Love)" an awesome MLK tribute that was meaningful in time (MLK day), space (steps of Lincoln Memorial), and context (inauguration of first black President). Bono, as he does from time to time, was doing some freestyle pontificating when he let drop that freedom is also an Israeli dream and "also a Palestinian dream". The NYT tut-tutted, calling it the "only sour note" of the gala. (I'd link to it, but can't find now. I swear I read it last night.)

I can't figure out why that is a sour note. Are we not supposed to mention anything political at an expressly political event? Do Palestinians not dream of freedom? It is not PC to even mention Palestinians?

Dolberry doesn't have an opinion re: Gaza, other than that they should quit killing each other. Here's a much better take from The Nation. I just gotta ignore the NYT. Basically, that web site is just like the comic strip "Cathy". I can't avoid reading it, but it generally ends w/ Dolberry! feeling like his intelligence has been insulted ... again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article should restore at least some of your faith in the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/world/europe/23crapstone.html?_r=2