Monday, January 05, 2009

Closer to caving on the cell phone thing ...

As many of you know, one of my life's goals is to be the last person in the U.S. over the age of 8 to own a cell phone. I must admit it's getting harder. The stupid bus has been really late a lot these days & I've been thinking that it'd be nice to be able to call tbKMD & tell her that I'll expect my dinner to be on the table at 6:37 sharp instead of 6:22 sharp.

One of my wonderful sisters (Carrie) sent me a link to a funny The Onion article about an obnoxious cell-phone holdout who caved and then instantly became a cell phone junkie. I would so be that guy. If I ever get a cell phone, I want the best one. Preferably one that takes pictures, plays MP3s, serves as a browser, and can grill a burger indoors (i.e., the George Foreman phone).

Based on a quick Google search, it appears that somewhere between 70 and 85% of all American adults have cell phones at the present time. According to one study, more people say it would be harder to give up their cell phone than their TV. Ouch.

The advertising for cell phones is relentless. According to the internet, here are the top 10 spenders on advertisements during the first three quarters of 2008:

1 Procter & Gamble Co $2.3 billion
2 General Motors Corp $1.4 billion
3 AT&T Inc $1.3 billion
4 Verizon Communications Inc $1.1 billion

5 Johnson & Johnson $1.1 billion
6 Time Warner Inc $878 million
7 Toyota Motor Corp $819 million
8 General Electric Co $807 million
9 Ford Motor Co $742 million
10 Pepsico Inc $731 million

Anyway, I guess I'll stick it out another year. But if anyone wants to get me an iPhone for Valentine's Day ... I probably won't throw it out the window.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're wise to hold out for another year, or at least until the end of this year, particularly if you want the best of the best.

The iPhone can be incredibly unreliable in terms of its service. I have a friend who can use it for almost anything, except taking or receiving calls. The poor reception/connectivity actually works out quite well for him when he needs to hang up on someone he'd rather not be talking to.

The Blackberry Storm is a touchscreen alternative to the iPhone, but it's a first-generation device and it seems to have some bugs it needs to work through.

Motorola is making a hail-mary pass to save its cell phone business, and has several models slated for the end of this year. That could provide even more alternatives, or at least provide extra competition on price, driving costs down a bit.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Pat, I have two cell phones, one is a princess model. You are welcome to use one of them--it rings really nicely. Love, MoJo
PS Can't believe Budweiser wasn't in the top 10 of advertising last year.