Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Battle: The Story of the Bulge

BIG thanks to the Alexanders for their Christmas gift of John Toland's Battle: The Story of the Bulge. The book covers the Battle of the Bulge from its origins in Hitler's conference room, through the initial German sucesses, through the eventual Allied repelling counter, and ends w/ a quick recap of what some of the principals had done in the 15 years between the battle and the book's publication (1959).

I'm glad that I read the book in the winter, but even still I cannot imagine how awful it would have been to have people shooting at you while being stuck out in snowy fields and forests.

The book made me want to go back and read through the WWII history from Grandpa Fitz which can be found at the Fitzgerald family web page. The book makes the point that Hitler's decision to go on the offensive in Belguim probably saved the lives of thousands of Allied troops who would have eventually had to break through even more fortified German defenses sans the Battle on the Bulge.

Anyway, fascinating history. Thanks Nancy and Dave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed this story is not about me losing two pounds in January. I'm just back from Vegas, where I was able to withstand the siren call of every buffet I encountered.