Tuesday, December 15, 2009

San Fran (day 2)

Today was ~ 9 hours of talks/posters on climate change and other elements of atmospheric chemistry.  One speaker noted, as he spoke to a crowd of over one thousand, that these are the golden days of atmospheric science.  He said the community should be flattered that so many non-scientists are interested enough in what's being discovered to try to distort it to suit their own interests.  That's a glass half full attitude right there!  The DCV aims to be completely non-political, so I'll stop here on this subject other than to say that some of the presentations today were quite scary ... maybe not for Dolberry's generation ... but likely for APD's generation (guess every generation has its own challenges) & that if anyone ever wants to talk thru the subject w/ me ... I'm open to sharing what I know.

Other than that ... went to Chinatown post-conference.  Ate here.  Wasn't super awesome and there was a bug flying around the food, but felt that made it more authentic somehow.  Went in some of the knick-knacky stores ... and got a few stocking stuffer type things.  I think I'll go down to the water tomorrow.

My brilliant idea for the day ... undoubtedly influenced by the steady drumbeat of warming consequences ... is that the U.S. should buy out Canada (at least the English part).  I guess we don't have much money lying around now, but maybe we could put it on layaway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you haven't had the best of cuisine in San Fran. You'll have to go to the Wharf to get some good food! Mom