Monday, December 14, 2009

San Fran (day 1)

Made it out here no problem.  Staying near Union Square.  Lots of fancy shopping.  An 8-story Macy's, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Prada.  (I didn't see the devil ... as far as I know.)  Lots of homeless as well.  Pretty much every corner.  Even a homeless dog on one corner.  Sad. 

I was out looking for dinner myself.  No restaurants in the shopping district, apparently.  Guess if you're going to shell out serious dollars to buy some fancy piece of clothing, you don't want to eat your way out of it.  Ended up getting a hot dog and pretzel from a street vendor.  Was only so-so.

My one thought for the day ... and I doubt it's a novel one ... but I was proud of it ... is that the question should never be "What do you want to be when you grow up?" but instead "What do you want your life to be about when you grow up?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not calling you not novel but Tim and I were just having a conversation about living with intention and what we want our lives to look like and that sort of thing.
Glad you're safely in San Fran. Have a nice time and feel free to buy me a guichi something or other :)
Kris

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you have joined the blogathon again. Funny how often food enters into your writings. Not that I'm against food but philosophically speaking your statement about life fulfills the need for food for thought. Was that profound, or what?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is G'Ma in this case. I forgot to identify myself. caio

C-Lo said...

I wouldn't mind too much if my life was about people slapping me on the back and saying, "Hey, nice job winning that lottery!"

Dolberry! said...

all good comments ...

have been reading a book about living w/ intention ... and the idea that if we're all just characters in the story of our lives that we should go about making it a better story ... great thoughts that fire me up for brief periods but then I settle back into routine ... ?

i was thinking i blogged too much about food ... speaks to the lack of a better story as noted above probably ...

if i won the lottery ... i would go King of Pop on the world to where noone could slap me on the back ... a la Warren Zevon's classic "Splendid Isolation".