Friday, December 18, 2009

The Moving Walkway is now ending ... please look down

Random thoughts:

It takes 2:01 to traverse one of the people movers to ORD's Concourse C while standing still.  In that time you can hear the expression "the moving walkway is now ending ... please look down" 28 times.

Interestingly (or not), Barbaro won the 2006 Kentucky Derby in 2:01.

Tiger Woods' mother-in-law is named Barbaro (or something like that).  Interestingly (debatable), the Accenture ads w/ Tiger are all still up in the airports even though they've dropped him.  You've probably seen them.  They show Tiger looking over a small cliff at a golf ball he's clearly hit out of bounds w/ the tagline ... "It's what you do next that counts."  Real prescience on the part of that ad maker and unusual wisdom as well for marketing.  Some travelling wag had sophmorically stuck a sticky "who" over the "what" in the SFO version.

Re: the SFO airport, as I finished up going through security there tonight, Dolberry noticed his fly was open.  I wonder if the TSA gets that a lot ... take off your shoes ... remove your belt ... unzip your fly.  Doing my part for homeland security.

Food update: ate a 50's style diner for lunch today. Hamburger was fine but bun was still frozen in the middle. Was that standard in the 50's?

None of my Facebook friends are online to chat right now (3:14a).  Losers!  Only 4.5 more hours to kill.  Think I may go hang out at the 24hr McDonalds and see if I can make any new friends there.  Plan to finish the book I'm reading.  Interestingly (stop it), "experts" had notified the dam owners that their dam was likely to fail, but were harshly rebuffed as not knowing what they were talking about by those w/ vested interest in the lake and its associated lodge.  Many in Johnstown and other affected communities were aware of the risk, but had no power to do anything about it.  Over 2,000 people lost their lives needlessly in that case for something that was easily preventable but was sadly ... inconvienent.  (oh no you di'int!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dol, I would like to read that book! My dad talked about the Johnstown Flood many times during my youth. Did you know bread was only .09 a loaf? That and many other facts were heaped upon us. I think the price of bread 'rose'. :)( Bread rises, get it?)

C-Lo said...

That reminds me of a story I meant to tell you at Christgiving. This was from a cousin on my Dad's side in Atlanta. He was recalling a time when he and his Dad took a business client out for a round of golf at a particularly difficult course. They had finally made their way to the 18th green, which was elevated, and had a sand trap below and a large water hazard behind it.

My cousin and the client had safely hit onto the green, but my uncle's ball was in the sand trap below. Knowing his Dad's tendencies, and because he couldn't see the green from the sand trap, my cousin warned the client that his Dad would probably hit the ball way too hard. He said they should both back up and prepare to snag the ball if it looked like it was going to roll off.

Naturally, my uncle slammed the ball and it rocketed over the green. The business client made a herculean effort to grab it, but instead fell backward into the water hazard. My cousin doubled over with laughter, while my uncle rushed up to see if he had holed out. The two of them, laughing, managed to pull the client out of the water after a bit of struggling.

They cut short the round to head into the clubhouse to get some dry clothes for the client. As they made their way off the green, my cousin noticed that the people in the clubhouse were standing either with their mouths open or pointing at them. He thought it was a bit of an overreaction, until he turned around and looked back at the water hazard, where a pair of alligators were swimming up to the 18th green.

Pneumono... etc. said...

G'ma, I'll share it. Sounds like you knead some good reading material.

Chad, wow. That'd be scary. There are gators on the course we used to play at Spring Training. I always hit it out of bounds on the opposite side of the fairway, just to be safe. Oh, & did you cousin close the deal?

Dolberry! said...

Oops, above comment was Dolberry not APD.

C-Lo said...

My cousin didn't mention whether the deal closed, but I'm guessing not.