Monday, January 29, 2007

Mr. Gleichsner

The thing I enjoy most about this silly blog is that it seems to be a simple portal to memories of growing up ... my history (short & sweet as its been). One of the best sets of memories are the times I was fortunate enough to spend w/ Mr. Bob Gleichsner. Mr G, along w/ having maybe the hardest surname to spell this side of Krzyzewski, was one also one of the wisest people I have ever met.

He had the wisdom to stay young at heart. He was always able to talk w/ you about things that he knew interested you. I'm certain that if he'd been born into the early computing generation, he'd have been a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, he seemed to have an infinite curiosity for how computers/technology worked. He was always ready to try new things. I remember an early internet-chat tool called ICQ. I had it installed on my computer, as did Mr G. He used to "ring" me just to say, "Hey, I see you're online. Shouldn't you be working."

He had the wisdom to be a UofL fan. We had many spirited discussions whenever the glorious St. Louis University Billikens took on the Cardinals. He was always patient w/ my impudent trash talking whenever the Bills edged the Cardinals. And he was always generous the many more times that the Cards thrashed poor SLU. Mr. G had one of the best lines of any sports fan w/ his "Well, this one's over." Whether it was a three-pointer in the waning minutes to put a game out of reach, a touchdown that pulled Louisville to w/in 21-7, or even sometimes the first basket of the game ... we could always expect a call from Mr. G saying there really wasn't much reason for watching the rest of it, because the contest had already been decided in Louisville's favor. The times we spent w/ the Gleichsners in Memphis, St. Louis, & Cincinnati watching Conference USA tournaments were some of the best days of mine & Kristy's lives.

What I'm most grateful for is that he also had the wisdom to share his wisdom. I'm not sure what the motives were for the origin of the Red Bench Gang, but for teenagers & college folk in our neighborhood there was no better place to observe how upstanding adults interacted, how friendships should be maintained, how your character should be built, & what you should look for in a mate (someone brave enough to withstand the RBG approval process). Is there any thing wiser than purposely devoting parts of your days to conversation w/ friends?

And the amazing thing is, he touched SO MANY people in the same way.

From a book, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. G read at some point, I saw this poem from Charles Wesley:

If death my friend and me divide
Thou dost not, Lord, my sorrow chide
or frown my tears to see
restrained from passionate excess
Thou bidst me mourn in calm distress
for them that rest in Thee

I feel a strong immortal hope
which bears my mournful spirit up
beneath its mountain load
redeemed from death, and grief, and pain,
I soon shall find my friend again
within the arms of God

Pass a few fleeting moments more
and death the blessing shall restore
which death has snatched away;
for me Thou wilt the summons send,
and give me back my parted friend
in that eternal day

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute! He was a very special man and will be missed by a lot of people.We did have some good times, didn't we? Did you send this to Laura? I think there is a link on CourierJournal.com/obituaries where you can sign a guestbook.I love you Bud, You are the best! Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the kind words about Dad. His funeral today was had moments of laughter as well as sadness. He truly had friends who loved him. We should all be so lucky. I passed this along to Mom and I know she will be touched by your tribute.