Sunday, November 19, 2006

Old pictures / memories

The old-timey picture in my rival blog the other day had me looking for old pictures from my past. Did find this one of me and George Bush, Dan Quayle, & two other suits at the signing of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990. I hadn't even been hired at EPA Region 5 yet, but I went up to the signing looking to make some contacts. I did get a free NEI shirt in honor of the 1981 NEI having just been released that summer. I was talking w/ the NOAA Undersecretary of Glaciers (I believe he was an ex-Ranger), when I heard GHWB say "Hey, we need a regular working stiff in the picture. Hey Dolberry! Come up here for a second."

I asked, "Should I put the cake down?"

The President said, "No, It's fine. But try not to get any crumbs on the bill itself."

That was pretty much how it happened. The thing I remember most was how good the cake was. It was really good cake.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that picture! Did you feel the Quail eying the cake over your shoulder? You could very well have been mugged! Old GHWB would have been caught in the cross fire very easily. WOW, my heroic grandson's harrowing experience impresses me!
G"Ma