Monday, February 26, 2007

DCV Top Bands of the 80's: 35-31

The countdown rolls on ... with the regularity of Billiken basketball victories.

35: INXS
Enjoyed them more in their early 80's days than in there bigger late 80's / early 90's days. The brilliantly titled "Shabooh Shoobah" probably contained their two best songs. I vaguely remember being at some SLU function and being the only one in the room who could identify the song title, album title, and country of origin of some song from this time period. Times like these ... it's good to be the countdown geek. I believe the female Dolberries saw them in concert one time. Anyway, INXS has a very interesting post-success period. The lead singer (Michael Hutchance) killed himself, though there's some debate as to whether he intended to. (U2's "Stuck in a Moment That You Can't Get Out Of" is about the foolishness of that episode.) Then, they rebounded in the reality show where they auditioned a new singer. The drama associated w/ their post 15 minutes seems out of proportion with their 15 minutes themselves.

Best songs: Don't Change, The One Thing, What You Need
Worst song: Never Tear Us Apart

34: The Cars
Another band that peaked early. Their best stuff was definitely in the late 70's but they rolled into the 80's w/ just enough momentum to manage some hummable tunes on the "Shake It Up" album (their fourth) which came out in 1981. I bought their 1984 "Heartbeat City" tape on the basis that I liked the video w/ that funny fly w/ the Ric Ocasek face that buzzed around the girl. Mistake. They had a left-handed guitarist. That's about all I have to say about them. When I made the countdown list, I thought that first album was released in the 80's. Tell you what ... replace them w/ whomever you like that's not already in the countdown.

Best Songs: Shake It Up, Since You're Gone, actually all the 70's songs
Worst song: Why Can't I Have You, Drive, pretty much that whole Heartbeat City album

33: Journey
Did I like Journey in the 80s? No. I pretty much loathed 'em in the 80's. The radio station in Louisville had a three artist loop of Heart, Journey, & Zeppelin. I assume you could turn on WQMF right now and have a 33% chance of guessing what artist is playing. Plus, one always heard scary stories about how so & so went to a Journey concert & now they're in a home for delinquent youth. And I like little people, but that Steve Perry seemed like an insufferable little twerp even to diminuitive Dolberry. In my opinion all the aforementioned shortcomings can be forgiven due to their songs amazing ability to be karaoke-d, badly, by Dolberry. Who can forget such favorites as "SO NOW I COME TO YOUUUU WITH OOOOOOPEN ARMS. FEELING YOU SAY. WANTING TO SE-HEAR" or "JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRRRL. LIVING IN A LONELY WORLD. SHE TOOK THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN GOING ANYWHEEERRRRREE."

Best Songs: Don't Stop Believin', Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin, Open Arms (Dolberry versions)
Worst Songs: Same as above (non-Dolberry version)

32: Styx
Wow. This stretch of the countdown is a slog. Anyway, some good memories about Styx. I remember listening to "Pieces of Eight" down in Roger Idstrom's basement while recounting recent beer can finds. Um, I think "Come Sail Away" was the closing song at a CCD retreat I went to (likely against my will) at that Abbey in Southern Indiana (St. Vimonts?). My memory is very hazy then, but that song was my favorite part of the whole retreat. Because the retreat was over & the song was decent. Styx's song "Mr. Roboto" perfectly captured the spirit of the 80's with lyrics such as "I'm Kilroy!" and "Domo arrigato, Mr. Roboto. Domo. Domo." I think someone once told me it's Japanese for something, but I enjoy Barenaked Ladies mocking of it far more. Anyway, according to Wikipedia, Styx is the 127th best selling act of all time, so there you have it.

Best songs: Too Much Time on My Hands, some of the 70's stuff - Come Sail Away & Renegade
Worst song: Babe

31: Midnight Oil:
Like their Austrailian counterparts (INXS), these guys were frequent listens at SLU. Nothing speaks to pre-med students and their odd meteorological student friend than a concept album about the Aborigines people. I think "Beds are Burning" has one of the best endings to any song, any where. And their 1990 release "Blue Sky Mining" is a classic. Dolberry is partial to the anthems & very few wrote 'em as well as the Oil. I think they have some of the best lyrics in two songs in particular: 1990's "Forgotten Years" and 1993's "In the Valley" (reprinted here)

My grandfather went down with the montevideo
The rising sun sent him floating to his rest
And his wife fled south to sydney seeking out safe harbour
A north shore matron she became with some paying guests

My father went down with the curse of big cities
Traffic tolls and deadlines took him to his peace
Now bob dyer glued us to our seats
And lawns were always victa neat
Whilst menzies fawned at royal fleet do you remember?

In the valley I walk, I took some comfort there
In the valley I walk, cold comfort I can hear you talk
In the valley I walk, who will take me there?

When my mother went down it was a stiff arm from hades
Life surprises and tears you like the southerly
She always welcomed the spring always welcomed the stranger
I dont see too many around like this
Oh no, thats what Im looking for, yeah, what were looking for

In the valley I walk - who will take me there
In the valley I walk - cold comfort I can hear you talk
In the valley I walk - I took some comfort there
In the valley I walk - oh rough justice I hear you talk
In the valley I walk - to meet my watershed

I hope virtue brings its own reward
And I hope the pen is mightier than any sword
I hope the kids will take it slow
I hope my country claims its own

In the valley I walk - I cried yes I cried I was down then I crawled
Mercys arms all around me when I was down there
In the valley I walk - do you read me they can hear me in the valley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DB,
I have some fond memories of these bands too. I did not listen to them until my college years as in high school I was a Beatle Maniac.
To add to your list.
INXS
Listen Like Thieves, Kiss the Dirt and The One Thing.
Journey
Lights, Feeling That Way, La Do Da, Lovin Touchin Sqeezin, Any Way You Want It and Just The Sameway.
Styx
The Grand Illusion, Fooling Yourself, Come Sail Away, Paradise Theater, Too Much Time on My Hands, Best of Times, She Cares and Snow Blind.

Where does Yes fall in your count down, one that ranks high with me is I've Seen All Good People I:Your Move.

A Hellraiser

Dolberry! said...

I don't want to give it away but ... you may not want to hold your breath for Yes in the Top 30.

Hey, I heard your State in a disaster area. Should you even be on the internet?

Dolberry

Anonymous said...

My 2 cents. I liked "Never tear us a part". That's good stuff!
Kris