Saturday, February 24, 2007

2006 MLB: day games vs. night games

Here's another one. There were nearly twice as many night games as day games last year. The visiting team was more likely to win day games, outscoring the home team by 0.18 runs. The home team was more likely to win road games, winning on average by 0.16 runs. This breakout almost wholly due to the ineptitude of this team, who played a lot of home day games last year. The Cubbies were outscored by an entire run during their 54 home day games in 2006. If you take them out of the record the day vs. night, home vs. away, run differential stats are almost equal. Stupid Cubs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there were no comments on this fascinating data. What is everyone else doing? (I guess this is what a Billikin fan is reduced to in basketball season.) Mom

Anonymous said...

Actually, while I concede that the Cubs are stoopid, I'm also going to challenge the validity of the conclusion based on this metric. I don't think you can simply measure day vs. night game performance in a vacuum.

Show me the win rate for a team playing a day game after a night game vs. a team that had a bye the day before the day game. That would be very telling.

In other words, did one team have the previous day off, while the other spent the previous evening laboriouly watching Ryan Dempster fastballs fly out of the park?

Anonymous said...

I think I can do that, but it may be a while before I'm that bored again.

Dolberry!