Monday, December 11, 2006

B.U.I.

All right, I'm blogging under the influence (of about 3/4 a glass of beer) so the DCV will likely be even more prone to wild exagerations , incoherent babbling, & flat out prevarications than usual (if that's even possible). Buyer beware.

(Also, it's been pointed out to me that it's not really a "live" blog if it comes on line at 11:30pm. Point taken. I could've live blogged during some of the presentations today (thx to wireless internet magic), but it would've been pretty rude. So, here's a recap of the day.)

(I'm just going to do this whole thing in parentheses. Heh heh heh. That's funny. True dat!

(all times now PST)

6:15: Woke up. Great sleep. Close to 9 hours. Wonder what's so nice about a Hyatt? Six pillows. One person, six pillows. Do the math on that & it comes to about 6 pillows per person. That is hard to beat. Clearly one of the highlights of the trip.

6:45: Spent about 15 minutes looking for the hotel fitness center. Didn't find it, but figured it was a decent enough workout looking for it to count as my exercise for the day. (This lack of effort is probably why the aircraft people had me move to the back of the flight yesterday for "takeoff considerations".)

8:35: Got danish & oj for breakfast.

9:05 Meeting started. California ARB has a really nice office.




1:15: Break for 30 min lunch. This is 4:15p DST (Dolberry Stomach Time). Rush & find a Quizno's & hurry back to mtg.



1:45: Our presentation. All the a.m. presentations were very interesting, and the other modeling ones were really well done. My collegeue suggests I start off w/ the line "All the other presentations were so well done, that we thought we'd take a different tack." I did my six slides. Nobody seemed to be hurt. Got some easy questions, but then one hard question about chemistry that I had to pass on. Turns out you can't just "pass" like on a game show. Who knew?

2:30: Am kinda the EPA spokesperson at the meeting, and Dolberry is enjoying it immensely. This marks about the 4th time, I said "EPA will give that its proper consideration." It rolls off my tongue, I think, more mellifluously than when I hear actual EPA policy types say it. It's a great phrase because it can be applied to any situation (an alternate proposal, suggestion for lunch, suggestion to go to hell, etc.) and it doesn't betray any position you might have toward the "its" in question. Either way, we're giving it the proper consideration. The key is to say it w/ the right amount of pompous gravitas.

4:30: Day 1 of meeting wraps up. Rated a useful expenditure of Dolberry's time, all in all (but that doesn't make for good blogging, so that's why I made up the 2:30 entry.)

4:45: Called home. Great to hear K&A's voices.

5:10: Called one of the Sparkies to wish her a happy birthday. So glad to be related to this particular Sparky (the other one is kinda hit & miss & I haven't formed an opinion on the new one yet.) Aunt Sparky is just a flat out impressive person. Sometime maybe I'll give the "life episode" treatment to KMD & Dolberry's first date when I gushed on & on about how impressive my lil' sis was (& still is) (as are my other sis' too, but it's not their birthday is it. No.). At the time I figured ... lead w/ your strengths ... "Hey, I'm related to someone really cool." Amazed there was a second date, in retrospect.

6:00: Went to a microbrew w/ my SECA friends. All very nice, probably because most of them were from Canada. Canadians seem to be about 35% nicer than your average American. Another one of those conversions to keep track of, I guess.

7:45: Returned to hotel. Asked front desk where the fitness center was. Apparently, it's a FAQ (frequently asked question) because the guy gave me a printed list of directions. There were 6 steps. Looking back, I made it through 4.5 of the steps this morning. It appears I was less than 5 feet from the Fitness Center when I turned around. Tomorrow, I will make that extra five feet.

8:30: Blog is now a live blog at last, because I am blogging right now ... and now ... and now ... still blogging ... Goodnight!

)!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hit or Miss? Alcohol brings out the brutal truth. I'd hate to see what you have to say after a beer & a half. Mojo is perplexed as well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bud! I'm pleased as punch to be related to such a cool bro too!
Aunt Sparky

Anonymous said...

That's some good blogging, and I might use that "proper consideration" line in a training session I have with a client today, should they ask a question I can't answer. (80% chance)


Chad

Anonymous said...

You'd rather have Miracle Whip than Mayonaise? Who knew indeed? Good blogging to you and to you a good night! P.S> THAT WAS A FRENCH DIP SANDWICH AT SANDRELLA's. Whoops, the cap key went on all by itself! Scuzie. G'ma