Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dolberry makes a clown out of himself

There's a picture of APD's (from the school newsletter) getting ready for a vocal performance. They were really good this year. Probably did 6-8 performances. Not sure where his bow tie is there.

Ugh. Awful night tonight. I had a church commitment that I couldn't get out of and thus had to miss most of APD's game. Got through that meeting w/ a bad attitude on the inside ... rushed to the park ... catching every red light on the way ... to get there w/ APD up in the top of the last. Down 5-3, runner on 1st, one out. He fouls off three pitches and then gets called out on a pitch that was at his eyes. His coach got thrown out for coming out of the dugout and arguing the call ... the only ejection I can ever remember seeing in 6 years of youth baseball in Apex.

I was in a spectacularly foul mood at that point & yelled out from the bleachers ... "Blue, there is NO WAY that is a strike. NO WAY!" The game was over 4 pitches later and I managed to compose myself when the ump walked past to head to his car.

So now I guess I'm one of "those parents". After years of never criticizing umpires, always encouraging kids on both teams, thanking scorekeepers, deruffling other parents ... I feel like I ruined it all in 3 seconds.

I don't like who I'm becoming ... things have to change.

3 comments:

Dolberry! said...

oh & the crazy thing was that tbKMD said APD had had his best game of the year, 3 IP, 1 ER, catching a line drive, got a hit ... maybe dad should just stay away.

Anonymous said...

Tsk Tsk Tsk Who have thunk that perfection is in the eye of the beholder!

C-Lo said...

Most people believe that an ump doesn't like irate fans doing things like dumping popcorn on his head as he walks to his car. But if he catches some of that ballfield popcorn in his mouth as it falls over his noggin, how upset could he be, really?