Thursday, January 31, 2008

BREAKING BLOG NEWS: Bus Accident in Apex

The bus I was riding this morning was involved in an accident. A Chevy S10 pulled out in front of the bus & we hit it at 35-40 mph. Amazingly, despite all the glass being blown out of the pickup & the whole driver's side being crumpled in, the truck driver walked away w/ only an apparent concussion. I was fine. Banged my knee on the seat in front of me, but hardly even sore.

Update: (not really all that much to this story)

I'd just gotten on the bus, gotten seated, & was opening up the paper when I could feel the bus slamming on the brakes. I looked up ... there was a car in front of us ... and there was no way we were going to miss it. We hit the truck right in the driver's side door. It blew his back window out, blew out at least one of his tires, & brought us to a quick stop as well. I slid up my seat whacking my right knee on the plastic seat in front of me. No real big deal for the bus. (I was the only one on it beside the driver.)

Apparently the driver thought the bus was going to make a right turn and went ahead and turned in front of us. He said the bus had his turn signal on. Actually, I guess, the bus had its flashers on, still from crossing train tracks just before picking me up.

I got "interviewed" by the same police officer from the deer incident (she didn't recognize me), but I didn't really see anything. All total, 1 fire truck, 1 EMS truck, 1 Fire/Rescue, and 1 police car responded. Every one was very nice & professional. The bus driver did a good job too, though he was clearly shaken up.

They said the truck driver probably had a concussion. He was trying to call his wife, but couldn't remember her number. I really don't know how he wasn't more badly hurt. God was watching out for him no doubt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet that this was scary. Are you sure your knee is okay? Were you late for work? Love ya, Bro!

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope this blow to the knee will not affect your ability to play baseball in the spring! Gadzooks, life comes at ya fast. Tell the bus driver to be alert at all times! Love, ciao, g'ma

Anonymous said...

Life in Apex is living on the edge, isn't it? Chicago must seem like a pretty dull place to you. Stay safe! Speaking of that we had 4 (count them)4 tornadoes in Louisville Tuesday night and didn't even hear from our favorite meteoroligist relative. Oh by the way we are ok. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

That knee-banging-while-taking-public-transportation incident is a lot like what happened to me today: I was slogging my way to the train station during a heavy snowfall. I was using an umbrella to shield me from the snow, but before I got the umbrella out, a bunch of snow fell on my head. And I wasn't wearing gloves, so my hand got cold holding the umbrella.

It's like we're the same person or something.