Wednesday, July 11, 2007

DCV Top Bands of the 80's: #1

1. U2

Reasons why U2 is better than every other band of the 1980's:

a) The songs. There are about 20-30 U2 songs that make Dolberry very happy whenever he hears them. (I'll list them under "best songs".)

b) There was never a better video than U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" where they were at Red Rocks outside Denver. A storm rolls in. You can see the band's breath as Bono waves his white flag and screams his frustration "I'm so sick of it!" He was sick of the violence in Northern Ireland and 1983 Dolberry was sick of doing homework, taking out the trash, or having girls not lining up to date him. Nevertheless, we were kindred spirits against cruel outside forces. (Video added to sidebar.)

c) No other band of the 80's played a concert in St. Louis MO in 1987 on the same night as the 6th game of the World Series (Twins - Cardinals) and sucked up to the crowd by having their lead singer come out emblazoned in a Cardinals jacket and hat (which he threw to the crowd).

d) More than any other "star" I know, U2's Bono has leveraged his fame to do something other than general self-indulgence. Personally, Dolberry thinks he's done almost entirely good things which is an added bonus.

e) The Edge's guitar sound.

f) U2's Super Bowl appearance which paid tribute to the 9/11 victims while reaffirming that the US and people of good faith everywhere will not bow down to evil.

g) My Dad once said, while demanding that early U2 be turned off, that "this is awful" & "those guys will never amount to anything". It is, to my knowledge, the only time my dad was ever wrong about anything. (For the record, my mom was only wrong once as well ... thinking potato soup was edible.)

h) I heard Bono say once, "Quit asking God to bless what you're doing. Instead, find out what He's doing and do that. It's already blessed."

i) I like how U2 rebounded from a period in which they thought songs about this citrus fruit were good ideas. I like the fact that they tried that whole weird mid-90's Pop Mart thing ... even if I never got it. (Others 80s bands rebounded, but not to the same level as U2.)

j) U2 is from Ireland. Dolberry ancesters are from Ireland.

k) I like the fact that U2's absence from Live Earth was advocated by the antiGores as evidence that the concept of global warming is somehow flawed. (They're recording a new album in Africa at present.)

l) I like the fact that when U2 was starting out they claimed "I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me."

m) I like that U2 is so into America (our strengths, as well as our failings)

n) I like the fact that there's no better song to play on your headset while walking on the beach on a grey cloudy day than "The Unforgettable Fire". Seriously, I think that's one of the best experiences one can have on Earth.

o) I like how U2 usually opens "Where the Streets Have No Name" w/ a snippet from one of the Psalms (e.g.: Ps 116-12-13).

p) Bono's 80's hair, while widely mocked, is still a target that to which Dolberry aspires.

q) I like the fact that the Edge so admired Stuart Adamson and paid a touching tribute to him upon his death.

r) I like the fact that Bono's been married to his wife for 25 years.

s) I liked the U2 appearance on the Simpsons and that Monty Burns thinks they're "wankers".

t) I like how U2 pretty much carried both "Do They Know Its Christmas" and Live Aid.

u) Who knows to what degree, but it's pretty impressive that a band would have any role in bringing warring parties to peace as U2 did in Northern Ireland.

v) I like the fact that U2 claims to be the best band in the world.

w) I like the fact that U2 has stuck together all these years. Not just the band, but it seems like most of their team members have stuck together all these years.

Best songs: Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, Walk On, Until the End of the World, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day, New Years Day, The Unforgettable Fire, Vertigo, The Fly, I Will Follow, With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, One, In God's Country, October, Gloria, Wake Up Dead Man, Elevation, Out of Control, All I Want Is You, Bullet the Blue Sky, etc., etc.

Worst songs: Lemon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have made that comment in the 90s (during citrus fruit period) Now I definitely think U3 has passed the test of time. Dad PS. How can you like an Irish band, claim to have Irish blood running through your veins and not like potato soup???? Are you sure you are not Chinese?

Papa Sparky said...

What an appropriate name for their worst song. I, too, was a huge U2 fan until the release of the album (and movie, mind you) entitled Rattle & Hum. That is where my Ipod (when I save enough money to get one) will stop. Of course, I've always been that "Their first album is better" kind of guy. Thanks for sharing your list. Should we expect the best of the seventies next?

Anonymous said...

Whew! We finally made it to #1. It sure has been a nail biter sifting through 10 musical years. I don't know about the 70's though.Then we'd have to do the 60's.( A B C D E F G ... NOW I KNOW MY ABC'S) That would win hands down for the 60's. When my list gets compiled I'll post it. It may take awhile.
Amore,G'Ma

Dolberry! said...

Reply to comment #1: I thought we left Ireland to get away from the potatoes and the famine associated w/ them. Maybe I need to brush up on my history.

Reply to comment #2: I'm not a big 70's fan ... let's see there was Lobo ... Engelbert Humperdinck ... Ozark Mountain Daredevils ... the guy who did the theme for Rockford Files ... Kelly Clarkson? There! You put 'em whatever order you want.

Dolberry! said...

Response to comment #3: Thanks Gma!

Kathryn said...

Before getting married and having kids, I used to say the high point of my lfe was getting to see U2 in concert. I was in Houston in March 1992. This was a big year for travalling for me because we got to go to the Bahamas in April. I think it was their Joshua Tree tour. Clynn and her sister were not nearly as excited about going as I was. We bought tickets outside the place. Our seats were located behind a screen, but that was okay becasue we didn't sit in them. Afterwards we were all equally impressed and inspired. Thanks for taking me down this trip on Memory Lane.