Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Haters, hooligans, and hoodies

All of the words in the title of this post start w/ "h".  None of the words in the title have anything to do with what I'm going to blog about below.

A cursory check of the internet has informed me that a King Lear once said that "nothing will come from nothing".  As far as I know, this statement has divided scholars for centuries.  But it has never seemed more relevant to me than right now.  Primarily ... duh ... because I just heard of it a few minutes ago when I googled "nothing" in an effort to make a point here.  Try to keep up!

Anyway, I am sad for you.  I am *literally* sad for all of you who are not Dolberry.  And that is all of you.  While nothing but nothing has come from your nothingness, something has come from the something that is Dolberry. 

What is that something?  I am going to tell you.  And in doing so, I hope it sparks something in you.  Maybe it'll spark everything in you.  If that's even possible.  Which it isn't.

Before I do that, here's another quote from the King ... just to show you that I have significant and fearsome cut & paste talents.

And, to deal plainly, I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

On to the primary point of the blog post.  Spandau Ballet.

Does anyone remember Spandau Ballet?  (I mentioned them in the previous sentence, if that helps jog your memory.)  They were a British band from the early 80's.  This was in the heyday of Dolberry's countdown days and I was a huge fan (figuratively) of the British Invasion bands.  I was a fan of truly ridiculous British music.  I'm looking at you Thompson "Twins" ... all three of you. 



But I never liked Spandau Ballet.  They seemed to be pitched as a band that "you should like".  I'm not aware of anyone who actually liked them.  Their band name has to be one of the snobbiest of all time. 

Impromptu countdown of snobbiest band names ever (w/ ~ 1 minute of research):

5 - The Dream Academy
4 -  Orchestral Manoeuvers In The Dark
3 - Pet Shop Boys
2 -Spandau Ballet
1 - USA for Africa
 
Anyway, SB basically had one big hit "True".  Sample lyrics:

I bought a ticket to the world,
But now I've come back again.
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
When I want the truth to be said...

Ehh ... if you say so Spandau Ballet.  This song reached #4 on the US charts for no apparent reason ... while truly inspirational songs like "In a Big Country" topped off at #17.

I am but a man.  More sinned against than sinning.  - Lear

So, if you've watched any of the NCAA tournament this year, you've seen the truly ridiculous car commercial where 4 of the bozoiest looking bozos you've ever seen are all crooning along w/ the car radio's tinny version of "True" w/ the passion of freedom fighters on the verge of toppling a longstanding tyrant.  Well ... three of them are singing.  One of them (the driver) is turning down the car radio (gasp!) to explain something boring about the car.  Then the dude in the backseat, says something like ... "That's Spandau Ballet, man!" as his wife scowls disapprovingly from the shotgun seat. 

How's this relate to Dolberry?  I'll tell you how.  Dolberry is rocking the Twittersphere.  Dolberry is actually rocking the entire Twitterdromeda.  One of the dozen or so people I follow on Twitter, tweeted this sometime last week:

Joe Posnanski: I guess has tackled this, but I find myself rooting for a car fire during that "Spandau Ballet" commercial.

Dolberry ... as the expert on 80's music ... responded with:

@Dolberry:  How did the only 3 Spandau Ballet fans in the world end up in the same car?

Then later that day @king_kaufman retweeted my tweet!  I got an e-mail informing me of the fact.  I had never been re-tweeted before.

I don't really know who @king_kaufman is (seems like a decent enough guy), but he has like 3000 followers ... which is 2995 more followers than I have ... and 2999 more followers than I have that actually know how to use Twitter.  (Thanks for hanging in there @opurt11!)

So while you guys have been doing nothing.  I have been doing something.













No comments: