Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pitino thoughts

I don't really know what to think about the whole sordid saga involving Rick Pitino. Dolberry always had the sense that he was a master manipulator. I guess he's usually referred to as a master motivator, but those two terms are close cousins. The difference seems to reflect one's intent and I guess in big-time coaching they can be hard to disentangle.
motivator: to provide someone with something that causes a person to act
manipulator: to utilize something skillfully, so as to serve one's purpose
Clearly, no one involved in this mess has managed it w/ any thing resembling skill.

It'll be interesting to see what it's like in November when Pitino's sitting on the Cardinal bench. I doubt it'll affect his coaching and I doubt it'll affect recruiting. I'm just not sure Dolberry will be able to see him and not think of infidelity, abortion, and that scary extortion lady.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I hope that Catholic priest is not sitting their on the bench with him. Mom