Saturday, May 10, 2008

Golf ball sized hail in Apex


Not at our house unfortunately, though. Storm just rolled through. One of the few storms I can remember that you heard coming about 90 seconds before it came. Loud winds and presumably the hail was making some noise. As it blew by here, it hailed for about 90 seconds. The biggest I could see (i.e., landed on the porch) was just over pea-sized, but not quite marble-sized. Very cool!

I know DCV readers want to know where it ranks among hailstorms that Dolberry has experienced. I rate this as the 4th best hail storm I've ever seen.

#5 Louisville, 1983? - The one that dented our station wagon & El Cueto got the insurance company to pay us for (ahem) "repairing" it. I don't really remember the storm or I'd rank it higher.

#4 Apex, 2008 - For about 45 seconds, this storm was as good as any storm. Pea-sized, but plenty of it.

#3 Apex, 2004? - Remember it nearly covered the ground. Want to say it was in March.

#2 Arnold MO, 1989? - Was visiting Ron McCann over 4th of July and there was a huge storm. Largest hail I've ever seen. Just short of golf-ball sized.

#1 Louisville, 1984? - The one that shredded our awning. That was awesome! Remember it hit right around 5pm and I tried to watch it from our front porch but got scared when the wind ripped the door out of my hands. Retreated to the basement at that point and watched out that little window by the dryer.

(Remember, graupel is not hail. The Derby Day graupel event is #1 in graupel events. 1 of 1. If I did count it as hail, I'd probably put it as #2 or #3 on this list.)

I'm going to bed now, though. Lousy poison ivy + PI medicine has made sleep pretty much a non-entity over the last two weeks. Feel sorry for me! (that's pitiful, more so than the hail countdown)

10 comments:

Kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle said...

No BK Weather Meteorologist was on duty at the time unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

It is currently 2 am and I am also unable to sleep! No fun! We had G's Star Wars birthday party today. Beforehand, I was thankful he wanted to invite a few more friends this year, until the party that is. Kris says she knows what she does not want to do in 6 years, 1 month and 20 days! I'm pretty sure G had fun though. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! K

I can't really think of a memorable hail experience. I was thinking of that derby grapple as I was reading. Thanks for the clasrification.

Anonymous said...

You have a great memory! I can't remember any hail experiences (except the non-hail experience of grauple at the Derby.) I remember the awning being burnt before with fireworks but I'm not sure I remember it being destroyed by hail.
We should have skyped last night at 2 a.m. We were all up because Maureen was not feeling well.
Sorry you still have PI. YUCK! Hope you recover soon!
Kris

Anonymous said...

OK, so how do you spell the hail-type thing at the Derby??????? Grapple??? Graupel???? Grauple??? You all spelled it differently!

Dolberry's son

Anonymous said...

Why did you have comment deleted?????????????????????????????????????????????????
Apd

Kyle said...

I deleted it. It looked weird on the screen.

Kyle said...

G R A U P L E

Kyle said...

G R A U P E L

Anonymous said...

Go RED SOX!!!!





















kyle